Wednesday, June 3, 2009

The First Color Horoscope Rigid Heddler

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to be the first Color Horoscope Rigid Heddler! I first learned about your kits when I was listening to Syne Mitchell’s Weavecast as a new weaver in November (yep, that’s just this past November). I jumped in with both feet and had a ball. Anyone with a rigid heddle loom can do one of your shawls. While I have the advantage of a 32” wide loom, anyone who isn’t afraid of seaming could do the shawl on a narrower loom and then piece it together. While weaving, I learned a great deal about myself…I realized this was the first craft that I have to remain monogamous to a project, and I was okay with that. I loved the interplay of the colors, although I initially felt they were a bit too ‘Caribbean’ for me. And I planned future projects…many, many future projects based on this one warp design. All in all, it took me about 2 months of weaving to finish, as I had a full-time job to work around (and unfortunately a bout of pneumonia, as well). In fact. My little write up has taken longer than the weaving due, in combination, to my antipathy for technology and the later irretrievable crash of my computer.

Karen Meuler

My shawl was woven on an Ashford 32" RH using a 12 dent heddle. I used 5/2 cotton in the warp and 20/2 doubled for the weft.


No comments:

Post a Comment